Foster Care Support
Illawarra Aboriginal Corporation (IAC) is a large successful Aboriginal-owned and operated, Not-for-Profit service provider in the Illawarra. The IAC is dedicated to meeting the social, cultural and economic needs of Aboriginal people within the Illawarra. The organisation currently delivers housing, aged care, child care, employment and training, emergency relief and child, youth and family services.
The IAC child, youth and family service Myimbarr is a designated agency, authorised by the NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian to provide statutory out-of-home care services in NSW and a funded service provider delivering programs on behalf of NSW Department of Communities & Justice to the Aboriginal community.
The Myimbarr Permanency Support Program (PSP) aim is to:
- Keep Aboriginal children and young people safe and protect them from abuse and exploitation by offering a place of safety in times when it is needed
- Meet the child or young person’s physical, social, emotional, educational and cultural needs whilst within our program
- Assist keeping children and young people in their families and community
- Support foster families provide the best possible care to meet each child’s unique needs
- Work intensively with birth parents and families to support change
- Deliver a Therapeutic Care model
We are seeking applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to join the Myimbarr team and provide dedicated assistance to Foster Carers that provide vital care and support to the children in our care. Foster Carer Support is responsible for the recruitment and assessment of suitable new Foster Carers, coordinating reviews and ongoing training and development for existing Carers to ensure the provision of the best possible care for children and young people within our program. This is an extremely rewarding and hands on role.
The successful candidate will have;
- Aboriginality as authorised by S14d of NSW Anti Discrimination Act
- Tertiary qualifications in Aboriginal Welfare, Child Protection, Community Support, Social Work, Human Services or related area, minimum Cert IV
- Completed or undertaking to complete “Step by Step” training and accreditation to deliver Shared Lives Training
- Demonstrated previous experience in the Out of Home Care (Foster Care) sector with Aboriginal Children and/or carers
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges with children from vulnerable families and/or trauma backgrounds
- Strong understanding of and proven ability to engage with and work within the local Aboriginal Community
- Excellent communicator, with strong interpersonal, facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong written communication and report writing skills including preparation of documentation of standard to be presented in court
- Thorough understanding of Work Health & Safety obligations and a current First Aid Certificate
- Working knowledge of the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 and the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Regulation 2012
- Working knowledge of NSW Child Safe Standards for Permanent Care
- Knowledge of Child Development and Attachment Theory would be highly desirable
It is a mandatory requirement for this position to have a Working with Children Check, National Criminal Police Check and current NSW Driver’s licence.
Applications that do not address the selection criteria will not be accepted.
To support your application you will need to provide
- A cover letter and a response to the selection criteria as detailed in the job information pack
- Your resume
- Copy of your confirmation of Aboriginality and details of WWCC & Criminal History Check
We offer an excellent range of benefits including:
- Full non-profit status with salary sacrifice available to reduce tax and increase your take home pay
- An opportunity to really make a difference to our community
- Supported study and professional development
To find out more or request position description please contact Julia Trendall 0401 536 225 or email@example.com
Applications close at 9am 19 July 2021.
This is an Aboriginal Identified Position – authorised under the S14d of the NSW Anti Discrimination Act 1977
Aboriginal Foster Carers play a vital role in the lives of Aboriginal children and young people by raising them in a safe, secure, loving environment that is strongly connected to culture. If you are interested in becoming a Foster Carer contact us on 02 42110601.
You must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job.